Free EXPERT ADVICE
One of our travel specialists
will assist you in planning
Your live time trip !
Design Your OWN
Interesting things to know before coming to volunteering programs
- Suitable Clothing for working outdoors in warm weather with full sun and/or cool rainy conditions at the lodge.
- Light-weight trousers for easy drying (long trousers to protect against insect bites.)
- Lots of pairs of socks
- T-shirts – (dark colours are preferable for birding)
- Long sleeved shirt
- Polar fleece pullover (it can get chilly in the lodge at night)
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Rubber boots are very useful. We have a limited supply of these for borrowing (sorry no boots larger than EUROPEAN size 44.)
- Torch or head-lamp and spare batteries (we ask that you take used batteries back with you as there are no safe disposal facilities in Ecuador.)
- 2 towels
- Work gloves
- Water bottle – ordinary plastic bottle is fine.
- Small backpack for trips to and from the lodge, plus waterproof cover.
- Waterproof cover for large backpack (in winter)
- Sandals/flip-flops or thick socks for inside the lodge
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent* (Natural repellent if possible. DEET isn't necessary)
- Sun screen*
- Basic personal first aid kit and sufficient supplies of medicines that you need to regularly take
- Biodegradable toiletries to minimize contamination of the forest
- Earplugs for light sleepers – you will be sharing accommodation
- Books - Santa Lucía has a small collection of books for exchange
- Binoculars (optional) - magnification is not very important, but binoculars that work well in low light and that focus well to under ten feet are key. Basic 7 x 35s are fine.